Most people are introduced to oral hygiene from a young age. Parents will start to brush their child’s teeth and gums as soon as they have teeth. This instills the habit of brushing your teeth from the very start which is a great thing. We all know that brushing your teeth is good, but there are many benefits besides good breath that oral hygiene provides. Taking care of your mouth is the best way to prevent gum disease which affects almost half of the entire American population. This is important since gum disease causes many series issues. Gum disease has been linked to increased chances of stroke, and heart issues, which are also widespread issues in our country. To help fight this, we think it is important that every person knows the benefits of good oral hygiene.
Benefits of Oral hygiene
- Taking care of your teeth will reduce the chances of cavities, which means you will need fewer fillings.
- You will be less likely to have tooth decay.
- Taking care of your teeth and preventing issues is always cheaper then restorative care.
- You will be able to keep your teeth and won’t need dentures.
- Your breath will smell better.
- You will be less likely to need a root canal or some other type of oral surgery.
- Good oral hygiene will reduce the risk of cancer, stroke, and heart disease!
There are many other benefits, but these are some of the most important health benefits of taking care of your mouth and teeth! We would recommend brushing your teeth at least twice per day, and you should use good toothpaste. Floss once each day, and drink water after meals. You can also use mouthwash, and if you won’t be able to brush your teeth after a meal you can chew sugar-free gum which will help flush your mouth of harmful bacteria. Taking care of your teeth is always worthwhile and will save you money and prevent pain! As we have said in many other blogs, you should visit the dentist for regular cleanings at least twice per year. Consult with your dentist if you have anything that concerns you with your mouth and if you are having trouble keeping your teeth clean, they should be able to give you advice on having better oral hygiene habits.